Wednesday, February 09, 2005

All Hail Jon Stewart

If I ever wanted to know what mattered in the hearts of the Cornell students all I would have to do is simply walk outside my building and see the line that has grown overnight to buy tickets to see Jon Stewart. About 250 students camped out overnight and more joined the mass as early as 4:00 AM this morning. They did so because they wanted to see Jon Stewart. The line has grown. . . .four to five people wide. . . stretching clear across the academic quad and to the Art Museum. Hundreds. . . maybe even a thousand people skipping classes, avoiding the library, rescheduling meetings all because THIS is where they want to be. You see, in college, when Jon Stewart speaks, these kids listen!

Jon Stewart. . . who is he? Well if you are at Cornell and didn't know, you certainly know now. He's the anchor on Comedy Central's, The Daily Show. Half comedy, half news, half talk show (wait, I am not so sure I can split things up that way) all blended into one. This show has been the talk of the college campus for several years now. And as I have begun watching I have become a fan too. This guy is brilliant. Stewart is never one to take the news or the media's spin on the news seriously, and I have to say that I appreciate this refreshing perspective. Of course there are all kinds of naysayers out there about the show and how terrible it is-- not real news, etc. But the college population is making a statement today about that. They just don't care. This guy is great. And in a day in age where we have CNN (the liberals) and FOX (the conservatives) why not have one more that speaks to the younger generations and all those that want to laugh. Damn. Sometimes the news is just way too serious and full of itself.

I have told Rich once before that he would never have to worry about my eyes going astray so long as I never meet Jon Stewart face to face. And sweetie, still no worries on this one. He comes to campus in early March and I will be out of town. I will admit I am sad that I will be away. Seeing him on campus live would be great. . . . but I am also not about ready to stand in line with all of the other crazy fanatics. And well, as one other student has said, "I get to see him every night on TV, so what's the big deal seeing him again packed in to Barton Hall with four thousand of my closest friends?" Well, I guess to those four thousand Cornell students willing to camp out in line, it is a big deal. And that is quite telling. The tickets sold out by 2:30 PM

All hail Jon Stewart!

1 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Gregg P. said...

Out of town? Oh sure if by "out of town" you mean "one town over waiting for Stewart at the hotel...".

Worry, Rich! WORRY!!!!

Gregg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home