Friday, February 04, 2005

Overworked and Underpaid

I am swamped! Help! Work is crazy. There is way too much going on and such an unrealistic expectation placed on me that I can do it all. This month and the next few months are going to be hell (sorry mom, but it is time you knew that I swear). My life will be consumed with attempting to sell our model of chapter improvement to the many different fraternities and sororities at Cornell. So far this week, I have logged a total of 52 hours at work and it is only going to get worse in the weeks to come.

Now one of the things I have learned about the culture of higher education is that it is expected for people to work more than 40 hours a week and work late hours (students hold a lot of their meetings at night and events happen over the weekends). And I have never really had a problem like this. I do not typically count my hours. But there are times such as this that I get curious.

In addition to preparing for this huge presentation on February 12th and then other countless presentations to individual chapters after that, we are also in the middle of a major office staff reorganization process. There is a huge potential that my job will change significantly. . . and right now I am not ecstatic about the changes. Quite truthfully, they do not make a whole lot of sense.

So right now I am feeling very overworked and underpaid (or maybe undervalued) and hope that there is a happy ending to all of this maddening effort I am putting in. Sure, a good outcome would be for this program to receive rave reviews and go off without a hitch but I know the likelihood of that is slim to none. We will always have our critics.

I guess more of what I am looking for is an acknowledgement that I am a valuable player within the university and within this task and that future job descriptions and pay increases reflect that. Right now . . .. it's really not that clear.

But I work anyway until the task is done. Overworked and underpaid.

1 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dearest daughter,
Your post of yesterday just begs for a response from your Mom. I know you are in need of blowing off a little steam right now and that is OK. Even a swear word is OK occasionally. As you know my Mom use to refer to that as “Bucknell Language”, because when I came home from college it had been added to my vocabulary.
Now here comes the lecture. Life is not always easy nor are rewards automatic to those who deserve them. Please realize that I truly have few regrets and my own life has been blessed. BUT, just wait!! Life as a mother is 24/7 ( that is 168 hours a week not just 50- that is more than 3 times your current job). The financial rewards are nil and a thank you often has to wait until the kids become adults. In the process life can often throw you a few curves and produce an adult whose choices you don’t always approve of. Fortunately, in my case this primarily refers to politics and some middle child misadventures.
God is just getting you ready for the future. Hang in there!
All My Love,
MOM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home