Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Yeeeeehaaw!

What a happy day. Not only is it a crisp and sunny fall day in Ithaca (a rarity in these parts), but I just discovered that the Texas Quarters are now in circulation! So here is a simple shout out to the great state to show my enthusiasm over the newly released quarter. The back of the coin is not that spectacular. . . I would have expected to see The Alamo, the Texas Flag, or maybe even a picture of the Bush Dynasty. But I guess the picture of the state and the star make the back rather timeless. Doesn't quite grab me though. But what does grab me is that we now have a new quarter to admire and collect when we spend our cash!

Yes, I am one of those that collects all of the state quarters. Mind you I am not as obsessive as some people I know whose goal is to stockpile as many state quarters as possible (yes Ed, I am talking about YOU). I simply am collecting 3 quarters from each state: 2 from the "P" mint and 1 from the "D" mint. While 2 of these quarters are for my own personal collection, the extra "P" mint goes to a collection that I am keeping for my future family, cause some day we are gonna learn all about the United States, its geography, and history from the backs of a bunch of different quarters. Yeah, I know, family fun at its best! But imagine the show-and-tell that my son or daughter can bring into school.

My collection is far from complete. It seems that the 2003 coins are harder to find. Or at least they have been harder for me to get my hands on. I just have not seen many of the 2003s in circulation. Alabama is close to nonexistent up here. I am still on the hunt for Michigan, Florida, Alabama, Missouri, and Mississippi (the Denver mints especially). Being from the east coast, the P mint (Philadelphia) is much easier to find. That half of my collection is almost complete. Where I am hurting is the west coast Denver mint variety. And yes, for those of you who do not know, the coins from the US are minted in either Philadelphia or Denver and have a small, almost microscopic "D" or "P" on the front face of the coin.

So now, with the discovery of the Texas coin, I am now re-energized to go on the hunt for the quarters I am missing. I'll be on the West coast in December. Here is hoping that I find some more of the D mints while I am over there.

1 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Gregg P. said...

It's funny - I've always been kind of bewildered by the whole "state quarters" thing. I'm completely convinced it's all part of some sort of plot by the treasury to get a whole lot of people to pull a significant amount of cash out of circulation without having to replace it -- would have some sort of strengthening-of-the-dollar effect, I'd guess.

But then, I'm a bit of a paranoid kind of guy. So don't let my perspective spoil your fun. ;-)

Some of the designs are kind of neat, if often uninspired. Sort of like those state-specific designs they slap on the sides of the U-Haul trucks. These pastiches of common denominator state-culture inspired images. The Texas quarter is such a perfect example -- all this great Texas history, and all they could agree on was a) the hape of the state (which is really cool granted) and b) the Texas star (which is al so cool, and is EVERYWHERE here).

But I mean, couldn't they do a BIT better? Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home